This years Christmas card wasn’t hard at all. Unlike others, I can’t (read: UNABLE) to produce more than one send worthy card (even THAT is a little iffy!) I usually start thinking about it in September, by October, I actually move to trying to create a card, and by mid-November, I have a good idea as to the card that I will send. Unfortuantely, I can’t rely on the people in my own house to tell me if it’s ok or not, so sometimes, I just go with the first draft. Other times, there are 8-20 drafts made, discarded, crumbled up, etc. Those are the cards that the kids get to play with.
This years card involved the following: 110 score lines, 220 punches of the scalloped punch, 55 scalloped jumbo circle punches, 55 small circle punches and 440 cuts on the paper trimmer. All of that to produce 55 cards that resembled this:
Nothing spectacular, but do-able by all means. And, for mass producing (I’m down to 55 cards at this point) this was a project that I finished in a little under 20 hours. For me, that’s a record! Normally, I spend about that trying to figure out what I wanted to do. There are a couple of things I would have done differently, had I truly thought out the construction of the card. I wouldn’t have scored the ‘pocket’. Way too time consuming, and not very precise, on my part (scor-pal would have come in hand at this point in the construction!) I would have purchased more than ONE silver marker to do the outline on my cream piece. Not all the cards got this detail, as my marker started to die, and I wanted this project off of my list of things to do!
Now, the sentiment, that is usally what hangs me up. Will stop me dead in my tracks, with this gut twisting desire to scrap the entire card. Instead, I used our Print Shop (probably 2.0…the thing is older than the computer!) and made a circle that was a tad bit smaller than the large circle punch I had, and I was able to get 20 on a sheet, and then just punched them out. Now, one might ask, why didn’t you do that before? I have, but it never came out clean. It usually depending on me cutting them out, which is fine, if you take margins and dead print space into account…again, with the planning and thinking ahead.
The picture that I slipped behind the ‘envelope’ I just matted on cream card stock. I had grand illusions of putting a silver border on that also, however, with the above mention demise of said silver marker, that was not happening.
Now, in years past, I wasn’t as prepared as I was this year. I had all but about 15 cards completely assembled, so the night that I got the pictures, I was able to wrap up the project. That was a huge load off of my shoulders and list!
Next time, I’m going to show you some cards from the past!